Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blogging 2.0

Apologies for the recent hiatus.  A mixture of being out of town, busy and not very well - nothing major, just a cold, but certainly enough to slow me down.  Not sure to whom I'm apologising mind you, maybe only me!  I'm getting semi-regular hits, but I have no idea whether anyone's actually reading the things I'm writing or just happening upon the site on account of some sort of random keyword search. Still, like I said, I'm doing this because I wanted to do more writing, it's half of my two New Year's resolutions, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep going.  

Another reason for the delay in posting anything is that I've been struggling a little for motivation.  My concern when I started everything off again was that I would have a brief flurry of ideas and a brief flurry of posts before I got bored and stopped, just like the time before, and the time before that.  The thing is that I'm essentially writing opinion posts, essays of perhaps a thousand words or more, and they take effort!  Most blogs that I visit don't work that way, and in fact the one I visit most regularly isn't really a blog as much as a community.  Nothing much is written post-wise, but the comments go on for miles and miles, as the discussions and arguments that are had by its huge readership have actually transcended any actual prose from its author.  I'm not looking for any sort of massive readership, I'm looking to find my voice, really - and I know that I always feel better about ideas if I can verbalise them or write them down.  Writing them down is always the best way though, particularly if you're happy with what you've written, as you can re-visit everything later on.  As far as finding a voice is concerned, I'm also scratching an itch for my mother in a way - she's convinced that I have it in me to be a writer, and I said to her at the end of the year that I'd fire up the blog again and see what came of it.  I've lasted six weeks or so so far and there's been some reasonable output I suppose, although nothing has REALLY grabbed me - I think I've made some reasonable points here and there, but I haven't really hit as many nails on the head as I thought I might.  

We'll see how it goes, though - I don't want my writing resultion to be the equivalent of someone else's getting fit resolution - one that usually lasts a month or so before they get bored or don't see the results they were hoping for.  I definitely have some ideas for pieces bubbling away, so hopefully there'll be a lot more to come.  

Carrot  

No comments:

Never a truer word spoken

 I love this: Al Murray - or his alter-ego, the Pub Landlord - is always good for a one-liner.  This show is from a long time ago, 2004 I th...